General Duplex Stainless Steel Information
Duplex Stainless Steel 2205 is the most widely used duplex stainless steel grade. Also Known as: UNS: UNS S31803 – UNS S32205; SAF: SAF 2205® 22Cr; ASME SA-182 (F51), SA-182 (F60), SA-240, SA-798, SA-790, SA-815; ASTM A182 (F51), A182 (F60), A240, A276, A479, A480, A789, A790, A815, A928, A988; SAE J405
Duplex Stainless Steel 2205 is also called as Duplex 2205. The term of “Duplex” means that the steel consists of a two-phase microstructure — both ferritic stainless steel and austenitic stainless steel. Nitrogen is enhanced in Duplex 2205 comparing to other duplex stainless steel.
The Advantage of Duplex Stainless Steel Casting:
It combines the benefits of ferritic alloy (which provides high strength & stress corrosion cracking resistance) and austenitic alloy (which provides corrosion resistance & easy on fabrication.
Duplex Stainless Steel 2205 is very cost-effective for various applications that require corrosion resistance. The combination of chromium, molybdenum and nitrogen provides good resistance to crevice corrosion and chloride pitting. Corrosion resistance is highly important for applications in marine environments, bleaching operations, and food processing etc.
|Chemical Composition of Duplex Stainless Steel 2205
|Mechanical Properties of Duplex Stainless Steel 2205
0.2% ksi (min)
||Hardness (HB) MAX
Characteristics of 2205 Duplex Stainless Steel Casting:
- High Strength
- Great resistance to chloride crevice and pitting corrosion
- Great resistance to chloride stress corrosion cracking
- Good resistance to sulfide stress corrosion resistance
- Good general corrosion resistance
Applications of 2205 Duplex Stainless Steel Casting:
- Chemical process vessels, heat exchangers and piping
- Oil field piping and heat exchangers
- Bleach washers, chip pre-steaming vessels and pulp mill digesters,
- Flue gas desulfurization equipment
- Food processing equipment